Many bloggers face the problem of visitor retention on their wordpress websites, visitors come and leave after viewing just one page. In statistics majority of visitors spend less than 30 seconds on the blog, this not only reduces the ad revenue of the blog but also prevent you from having a loyal audience.
Pageview: A page view (PV) or page impression is a request to load a single HTML file (‘page’) of an Internet site.
Bounce rate is an Internet marketing term used in web traffic analysis. It represents the percentage of visitors who enter the site and “bounce” (leave the site) rather than continue viewing other pages within the same site.
Now if you view this from visitor’s point of view, they come to your site searching for some thing and either they find what they need and leave or they don’t find it and leave. They have no reason for spending any more time on your website. Follow the following tips and give your visitors enough reasons to stick to your website for more time.
1. Split Long posts in multiple pages: You should split long posts into multiple pages and thus make it easier for users to read the post and increase the no. of page views also. Click here to learn how to do it.
2. Interlinking your posts: It is important that you interlink your posts or pages, it will help your visitor to learn more about the related subject and help you with more page views.
For e.g. in tip no. 1, I interlinked to my previous post which will explain how to split long posts. Thus I gain a page view and visitor learns something. Win-win for both of us.
3. Related posts below the post: A person visits your site because they are interested in something, having a list of other related posts gives them option of getting more stuff which interests them.
Plugin for related post: nrelate Related Content
4. Use Excerpts: WordPress by default shows full posts on front and archive pages, by using excerpt users get a preview of the post content and you get a better loading time. It also increases the user experience.
5. Power of Sidebar: Sidebar is important part of virtual real estate of your website and it should help you in getting more page views. You can use recent posts, popular posts widget for giving more reading options to your visitors.
Though it is fun to code things manually but plugins offers faster solutions, click here to learn about the plugins which will help you to reduce the bounce rates in wordpress.